Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  Home    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Sorry to report
 AstroworldPark Forum : Sorry to report
Subject Topic: Demolition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SFGAm ShockWave

Online Status: Offline
Posted: November/11/2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote SFGAm ShockWave

Why would you be suprised that Texas Cyclone is getting scrapped.  Do you have any idea how time consuming it is to relocate wooden roller coasters?
Back to Top View SFGAm ShockWave's Profile Search for other posts by SFGAm ShockWave

patriciasalazar
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/11/2005 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote patriciasalazar

Though depressing.   Extremely, the Texas Cyclone is going to be scrapped.  Because it is almost near impossible to dismantle a coaster that has been standing in the same spot forever and a day.   Now I must go and cry. Ugly cry happening.

PKD Fan
Lead
Lead

Posted: November/12/2005 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote PKD Fan

Actually they could've relocated TC,SFA did so with Wild One from MASS. for the 86 season but SF is too cheap to do so at this point in time.

Swat & Diablo falls are both going to SFNE from what I read here,the rumors of it going to SFGRADV were just that rumors...SFA was rumored to be getting ultratwister but that won't happen as from what I hear all of SFAW's coasters will either be sold to parks outside the chain or scrapped,which is kind of stupid because other parks that havn't gotten a coaster in 6 years now could've gotten new to them coasters but since when have Burke & CO. ever made any smart business decisions lately?

Personally I won't be renewing my SFA pass until a new coaster is added but I see them not doing so for the same exact reason SFAW was neglected....they probably want to sell the park because,like SFAW, SFA's land is of pretty high value.

I think SFI used SFAW's parking situation as the excuse they needed to shut the park down that they were looking for over the last few years,as they could've built a new parking lot like they did at SFA recently if they were willing to simply put forth the capital to do so.

Back to Top View PKD Fan's Profile Search for other posts by PKD Fan

Lightnin' drop
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/12/2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Lightnin' drop

SFI hasn't made any sound decisions since even before Gary Story left.  But hey, how can you expect a company in $2,200,000,000.00 debt make any reasonable decisions?  That's what got them this deep in the red to begin with.  I don't care who you are, that's debt that you can't pay off in a lifetime.

Back to Top View Lightnin' drop's Profile Search for other posts by Lightnin' drop

Jon Revelle
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/12/2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote Jon Revelle

How did SF manage to get that deep in debt?

R.I.P. Astroworld
Back to Top View Jon Revelle's Profile Search for other posts by Jon Revelle

Lightnin' drop
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/12/2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Lightnin' drop

Buying the Six Flags chain didn't help, made worse by buying up Jazzland et al., branding them, upgrading them with new ride packages and expecting a high return under the "trusted" Six Flags name.  Most funds to buy up and improve these parks came out of existing parks' budgets, instead of keeping most of what each park made in those parks.

A contradiction in terms was when Burke said in their still-pending lawsuit over the parking for AstroWorld... was when he said the tug-of-war they caused led to them to not put in any new rides and attractions.  But let's see: Excalibur was removed for Serial Thriller, which ended up being the only coaster AW got from them; and SWAT and Diablo Falls are the only other new rides they got in the 7 years now they've been in charge?  From what I know, parking didn't become an issue until a year ago, possibly just the beginning of this year.  How does that explain getting NOTHING in 2000, 2001, and 2002?  And if it's been such a trouble all this time, why were SWAT and DF installed in 2003?

Edited by Lightnin' drop on November/12/2005 at 1:37pm

Back to Top View Lightnin' drop's Profile Search for other posts by Lightnin' drop

PKD Fan
Lead
Lead

Posted: November/12/2005 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote PKD Fan

I believe what did it was buying up the parks like laronde & SFNO along with all the coasters SF added chainwide in 2001.

Things were going good until 2002 when SFI cut the  cap ex budget from $300 mill. to $125 mill. & since then it's been the same thing with the same parks getting coasters every year or two while others get next to,or nothing at all,in 1999 SFA for example recieved it's makover with 3 coasters(two simply replaced existing ones that were removed) then superman was added in 2000,Batwing was our last coaster in 01. and PBR (DF clone) was added in 2003 followed by this years retheme of the waterpark with a measly two new slides & new  paint/renaming of existing waterslides.

As for the parks themselves:13 parks were from premier parks original line up(SFA included) SFNO & LaRonde were the two they bought since then along with SFM,SF had only SFOT,SFAW,SFFT,SFSTL,SFGRAM,SFGRADV,SFMM & SFOG prior to 1998/99 when premier purchased SF from TW.

Premier consisted of Adventure World(now SFA),KentuckyKingdom(now SFKK,ElitchGardens(now SFEG),Darien Lake(now SFDL),Gueaga Lake(was SFWOA & is now GL again under CF ownership),Frontier City,Riverside(now SFNE),the european parks & a couple of smaller parks such as Great Escape & Wyndot lake.

Back to Top View PKD Fan's Profile Search for other posts by PKD Fan

Fierce Pancake

Posted: November/13/2005 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Fierce Pancake

You know guys, this really isn't the place to boo-hoo over your parks not getting this and that ride or enough improvements to satisfy you.  This is an Astroworld specific forum and show some perspective and sensitivity to the people running this place who are losing their jobs and the park they love entirely.  If you want to discuss Six Flags America take it to Coasterbuzz or something.
Back to Top View Fierce Pancake's Profile Search for other posts by Fierce Pancake Visit Fierce Pancake's Homepage

Lightnin' drop
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/13/2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Lightnin' drop

jglonek wrote:
And since I'm posting here now.. is there any word of ANY rides coming to Great Adventure from Astroworld?

Notice no one has bothered answering this question..

CoasterFreak
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/13/2005 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote CoasterFreak

Okay it have been confirmed, SWAT and DF has arrived to SFNE, they are laying on SFNE's parking lot.

For photos: Go to http://www.sfne.com

Edited by CoasterFreak on November/13/2005 at 7:05pm
Back to Top View CoasterFreak's Profile Search for other posts by CoasterFreak

<< Prev Page of 39 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version