Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  Home    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Sorry to report
 AstroworldPark Forum : Sorry to report
Subject Topic: Employment Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
beastboy2002

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March/05/2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote beastboy2002

Just a question...

After Astroworld closed were the full time employees dismissed from there positions because im assuming they were "At will".... or were they offered other positions in the chain.  I am assuming there were several people there who had some seniority....
Back to Top View beastboy2002's Profile Search for other posts by beastboy2002

foxmulder
Lead
Lead

Posted: March/06/2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote foxmulder

beastboy2002 wrote:
Just a question...

After Astroworld closed were the full time employees dismissed from
there positions because im assuming they were "At will".... or were
they offered other positions in the chain.  I am assuming there
were several people there who had some seniority....

Most of them went to other parks. The maintenance director fate was up in the air from what i know. A few more people went to either splashtown or shliterbanh.

patriciasalazar
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: March/13/2006 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote patriciasalazar

I have a friend who worked security for 14 years. He was a full time employee, and when the park closed it was hasta la pasta.  They didn't even offer him another position anywhere else. WoW

rusty_tracks
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: March/18/2006 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote rusty_tracks

foxmulder wrote:
beastboy2002 wrote:
Just a question...

After Astroworld closed were the full time employees dismissed from
there positions because im assuming they were "At will".... or were
they offered other positions in the chain.  I am assuming there
were several people there who had some seniority....

Most of them went to other parks. The maintenance director fate was up in the air from what i know. A few more people went to either splashtown or shliterbanh.

I understand that SFTP did it just like they did when they first assumed ownership from Time Warner - that is, they just let folks go without so much as a good-bye! I was a working as a FT manager in HR when Premier (SFTP predecessor) bought the chain from Time-Warner. After meeting with all of the FT employees and assuring them that there would be "no immediate changes in the organizational structure", they immediately terminated 160 full time supervisors and managers, of which I was in the group. At the time, we had 4 full time, year round supervisors that worked in various capacities in HR. Premier said that we were too "top heavy" with management, and that the work we did could be done by seasonal employees. So, the staff was cut down to one FT supervisor, and five PT seasonal employees! What they failed to realize is that of the four full time supervisors, all of us were highly trained in specialized areas of the HR functions. To Premier, they were used to having Sue Ann and John Boy process say, maybe 1000 applications at most (remember - at the time, they were operating only Frontier City Oklahoma City - Time Warner had 12 SF parks at the time), where as Astroworld alone processed over 10,000 applications and hired 4,000+ in one season! And that was fairly conservative compared to the number of applicants processed at say, SFoT or SF Magic Mountain! Believe me, that was the beginning of the end for Astroworld. Things just got worse after that - at least until Chuck Hendrix came as GM. But that is another story!

rusty_tracks

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version