Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  Home    RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Rides
 AstroworldPark Forum : Rides
Subject Topic: "I’ve been working on the Railroad..." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rusty_tracks
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Online Status: Offline
Posted: October/30/2005 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote rusty_tracks

As a former Engineer/Fireman (steam and diesel), I know that there are quite a few of you guys and gals out there that have "worked on the Railroad". How about sharing some stories with everyone of your days on the 610 Limited - did you operate steam, diesel, or both? How about that hideous John Bull contraption? Or, were you a "newbie" and were an Engineer on the "Elizabeth"? Come one - take a minute and share with us. We would also like to have an "Engineer/Fireman's" Alumni group that could get together whenever we have an Employee Reunion.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Steve Cumming (a/k/a rusty_tracks)

Edited by rusty_tracks on October/30/2005 at 8:20pm

Steve

Posted: November/07/2005 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote Steve

It's great to see a special area just for Engineer's and Fireman.  We were an elite group.  I was a Steam Engineer/GE Engineer from 1993-1997 and then came back in the 2004 season and finished out the 2005 season.  Can say I was one of the 3 last "Real Engineers."  The railroad was the best ride in the park and the stories where do you start.  I remember Leon Taylor, burning his eye brows off playing with the fuel valve and the firebox, setting a tree on fire by the round house when a fireball went through the smoke stack, and even when the GE ran into the fire and safety fire truck at the western crossing. also smoking the tunnel (many times!!), and don't forget Emerick.  It was a great run and the friendships that developed over the years at Astroworld were great.  I would like to wish all of the mechanics and maintenance guys good luck in their future endeavors.  Josh thanks for keeping the Steam Engine running the last couple of years. Kent thanks for fighting for it to keep it going.  I will try and send some pictures into the site soon.  I never got to drive the Elizabeth (thank God!!) and the John Bull went out of commission right before I began training as a GE fireman in 1993.  Looking forward to hearing other stories from "The Railroad"         Train 1 is 10-7  RIP

rusty_tracks
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/14/2005 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote rusty_tracks

Hey Steve!

Thanks for sharing those memories! I was an Engineer/Fireman about the same time that you were - in fact, we worked together many times on both the GE and the Cannonball. I was hired by Diana (she was a Area Rides Supervisor) directly as an Engineer and started my training immediately. The test for the Conductor was such a "pud" test, that I think I took it by the third day or so that I was there. Then, Doug Jackson (remember when he was the Lead and was then promoted to Ride Manager?) had me take the GE Fireman's Test, and then about a week later, took the GE Engineers test. I had some great teachers - Russell Thoede being one of them. I remember when I started training on the Cannonball - it was great. You know, the coasters are great, and the other flat rides fun, but the Railroad was not just a job - it was truly an adventure from day to day. There is nothing else like it in the world to operate a steam engine - albeit as primitive as ours was, Doug used to say that it operated on the same principle as a UP "Big Boy" - whether you fired or drove the Cannonball, you think of those other great steam enignes out there, and you were truly in good company!  

I remember when I took the Steam Engineers test - I that I have had Calculus tests in college that were easier than the steam test! And Doug was pretty strict about grading those tests - they would not let the training folks grade them, because of the complexities of the steam engine. But, I passed it with flying colors and became a member of the "elite fraternity"! I remember so well some of the incidents that you are referring to - especially when Leon Taylor burned his face! He was really lucky that it not more severe than it was - but Doug kept teling him to leave it alone - but you know how Leon was - he had to get the last word in!

BTW, what ever happened to Emerick? Did he ever retire? Do you remember when he rigged up that device that alllowed us to blow down while moving/ Remember before that we had to get out of the cab and open the blown down valve manually with a special wrench? Geez - that used to scare me to death. And I think that the other guys knew that, because they always let a "newbie" get out and do it when it was time to do so! <lol>

Thanks again for your feedback - it really brought back some memories. Maybe if they have another former employees reunion, we can have a get together of former Engineers/Firemen. We were indeed a special group of guys (and gals).

Regards,

Steve Cumming  (a/k/a rusty_tracks)

Steve

Posted: November/14/2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Steve

Those were the days that is for sure.  I don't remember working with you though.  I was thinking the same thing that we both worked together at the same time.  I was probably so focused on my teaching career that AW was just not that important at the time.  Then when I started grad. school AW was just the past.  I am glad I was able to go back and work some before they closed.  I remember training so many people for that Steam Engine and the GE.  As far as the test, it wasnt to bad.  Nothing like my Principal's test or teacher certification test or that Finance 333 test I had in college.  I sent an e-mail to the webmaster here telling him that I would design a "Railroad" web page for the site if he wants me to.  Do you have any pics?  I need to scan a few.  I have some from I believe 1995-1996, and then some from 2005.

Hope to hear back from you.

Steve Lisbony

Steve

Posted: November/14/2005 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Steve

I forgot to tell you.  Emerick I believe retired in 1997-98, somewhere around then.  I was talking to Brent (mechanic) when I returned in 2004.  I was trying to catch up on the past years.  I think that is when he told me he retired.

I remember the blow down valve outisde the engine.  That was a little scary!!  After I left, they installed the blow down levers inside the cab.  It sure made it alot easier to blow down that way.

rusty_tracks
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: November/30/2005 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote rusty_tracks

Steve wrote:
Those were the days that is for sure.  I don't remember working with you though.  I was thinking the same thing that we both worked together at the same time.  I was probably so focused on my teaching career that AW was just not that important at the time.  Then when I started grad. school AW was just the past. 

Steve:

I am surprised that you do not remember me - you trained me on the GE as an Engineer, and also as a Fireman on the Steam ENgine. Doug Jackson and Russell Thoede trained me as a Steam Engineer, although I think that we rode together a couple of times on the steam engine. (TO jog your memory, I have red hair, wear glasses, and at the time had a stocky build). I do remember that you were quite busy with your teaching career, so you did not have a lot of time to work. I know about the tests - I have taken the TECAT for my certification, so I can empathize with you!

It is good to hear from you and find out how things were at the park. I lost touch after I left - it was too depressing to see how the new company treated the RR - especially the steam engine. Of course, we are talking about the same people that cut up a perfectly good steam engine at Six Flags over Georgia (the General - sister engines to our two Harpur steam engines). Last I had heard, the GE was out of service due to engine problems, then I saw that she was back in operation, and the Elizabeth was sidelined. I suppose that after Emerick retired, it was hard to get a mechanic that was qualified to work on the engines. You know that steam engine was his baby!

I have some pics somewhere of when I worked at SFAW and will be happy to scan and forward them to you if you put together a RR page. Also, there is quite a bit of RR stuff at www.sixflagshouston.com you might want to check out. Sold old pics of the railroad, including pics of the Cannonball in solid black paint.

Take care and hope to hear back from you!

Happy Rails,

Steve Cumming a/k/a rusty_tracks

email: txpipes61@yahoo.com

tc_raider

Posted: December/30/2005 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote tc_raider

Hey!!!! My name is Khrystina And I was an Engineer on the GE and Elizabeth the 2004 and 2005 seasons. I didnt spend a lot of time there because I got promoted to Safety Administrator but I did start off my 2004 season as a 610 Limited Engineer. As a matter of Fact I was the engineer who took the last ride on the Elizabeth the day she stopped working. I think they said the drive motor or hydraulic something was broken on it. Even after being promoted I did come back and take the train for some spins. I really enjoyed working there and if I hadn't gotten promoted I think I would have been there forever!!!!

Back to Top View tc_raider's Profile Search for other posts by tc_raider

Steve

Posted: January/07/2006 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Steve

Just wanted to let everyone know that I heard today from Russell Thoede that the 610 Limited was old before the auction to a rancher in California for $70,000.  He is planning on running it there and adding it to his collection.

commorancy
Host / Hostess
Host / Hostess

Posted: March/08/2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote commorancy

I worked briefly as a float operator on the train.  Yes, I had to do the spiel during those times.  This was early 80s.  It was fun, but I never got to work on the train on a more permanent basis.  I never drove the train, though.  I just ushered the people on and off and occasionally spieled.  I have no idea which specific trains I worked on.  I didn't work there often enough to get to know which train was which.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version